Mount Sharon Aerial

The History

In the brow of Mount Sharon, second highest point in Orange County and near the historic town of Orange, lies one of Virginia’s most magnificent farm estates, Mount Sharon Farm. This land was patented in 1726 and 1727 in grants to John and Frances Taliferro, whose descendants lived on and farmed its 560+ productive acres of Davidson soils until 1935.

An 18th century residence was replaced in the late 1880’s by a large and elaborate Second Empire residence (see photo in Lost Virginia), which was demolished in 1935 and replaced on the same site by the present refined traditional five-part Georgian Revival mansion designed by renowned New York architect Louis Bancel LaFarge.